Monday, March 16, 2009

Trial and Error

It has been almost 3 weeks since surgery and for the most part, I have been doing pretty well. I have tolerated meat well even if it was of the potted variety, and plan to have a "real" piece of chicken this weekend.

I guess life in general could be called "trial and error." I have been doing trial and error with my meals the past few days. I have always eaten very fast...I wolfed down my food. Learning to eat slowly and actually chew my food has been the hardest thing. If I eat too fast, I am full before I realize it and one more bite will send me to the couch with a cold rag. Not good. I have done it more times than I care to mention. I have found that I can tolerate real eggs much better than egg substitute. Who knew? Peanut butter is ok....UNTIL I ate one teaspoon too much and then it was off to the bathroom. Ugh. I still haven't tried sugar. About 40% of WLS patients can't tolerate sugar. I hope I am in the 60% who can. I can't imagine not being able to eat a couple of bites of chocolate. Or cake. Or ice cream. Or my mom's pound cake. Or a 3 Musketeers. Or a Cadbury egg. Yikes! I like sugar! Sugar is in everything that is good! Even Catalina salad dressing and barbeque sauce! One day I will try a bite of something sweet, maybe on a Saturday, and see how it affects me. Fingers are crossed!

So I am living life by trial and error these days. Nothing wrong with that, that's the only way I will learn. I am hopeful that all of this will just become second nature.

I am down 27 pounds since I weighed on March 6th. I am not sure when I will get to weigh again. My scale at home only goes so high. Wow I can't believe I just typed that for everyone to see!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE DOING WELL... I AM JUST BEGINNING THE PROCESS WITHT THE HOPES IF I DO EVERYTHING RIGHT MY INSURANCE COMPANY WILL OK THE SURGERY. I HAVE SO MANY HEALTH PROBLEMS AND FEEL THIS IS MY LAST ATTEMPT AT LOSING ALL THIS FAT... I HOPE YOU CONTINUE YOUR SUCCESS AND I LIKE TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS.. I LIVE IN NORTHERN INDIANA AND TODAY HAS BEEN OUR FIRST BEAUTIFUL DAY.. HIT 70* NANCY

Kim said...

Hey Nancy! So glad you found my blog! I am excited for you and I hope everything sails through and you will have a surgery date before you know it! Please keep me posted! I was right there with you. I was more than ready. Best thing I have ever done for myself.
I am very strange-I like cold and rain so I am dreading the hot summer! Today was nice though. We were close to 70 as well! Please keep in touch! I would love to hear from you!
Kim